Google Website Translator Gadget

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sienna surprise!

Well what can I say....I'm just a little behind with my updates!! 


The following entry was started when I was still in Sienna. Before leaving Canada I found out good friends of mine would also be in Sienna painting at the same time. I couldn't resist a big surprise rendezvous!


Yesterday was the big day for the Karlyn painting group reunion and must admit it all started rather strangely. I was to meet them at the church where the bus lets people off. For this surprise I had it in my mind to be all set up sketching away and have Karlyn and the group just happen to see me when casually walking by. I was all set up painting and sketching away when I saw them drive by! So I packed up quickly and took off after their bus. It must have been quite the sight!!! I was afraid if they didn't come by me sitting here there may be a very good chance that we wouldn't hook up at all so I thought it best to chase them down.

I really didn't want to just walk up to her/them so I stalked them through the narrow streets. I actually took a picture of the group from behind.  Just call me paparazzi!!



When I saw they were actually making their way to the church I tried to take a short cut through the spaghetti streets...didn't work. UGH!! So now they were lost..or was it I was lost?? :) The streets were narrow and winding; this happens to me whenever I get into any of the ancient towns!   Now what to do??

I figured if I kept roaming around the main piazza I would see them and sure enough I found my friend Karlyn there about 30 mins later having a coffee with a couple of others. So I carefully placed myself in the center of the piazza area in her direct line of sight and started sketching. Still nothing...geezz, she is supposed to be observant! ( turns out later that she said she actually looked at my sketch when she was walking by but didn't look at me! :)

Sketch I was working on when Karlyn walked by

When I looked up they were gone from the table so I was again on the hunt. I found her making her way around the circular piazza so I then kept putting myself just a few feet in front of her all the while sketching away. After about another 1/2 hour of this I finally walked up to her and tapped her on the shoulder and said I guess there's just no use in trying for a surprise! :) 

She was surprised of course and it was great to see her and the others there too. We had lunch together and had some laughs. I was able to get a real surprise out of Bonnie too. She was gobsmacked as the English say.... :) I wish I had a picture of her with her jaw dropped open! 

Really a fun day and made all the headaches and hassles of trying to get this to work out all worth while! I'm just so glad it all turned out! 

I check out of my hotel here in Rhodes town on Monday and I still haven't decided where it is I will be going to! I usually don't leave it quite this late so today I will be in search mode. I am taking a tour to Lindos, a smaller village 50 kms away in search of a new place for inspiration. I've had many tell me that I will love it there for painting and writing and not to leave the island until I have seen this special place so that is my mission today!

1 comment:

  1. HI ! I am enjoying following your sketching and writing tour. Am happy you found your friends even if it took them forever to find you!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...